Reality television show star Holly Madison of The Girls Next Door on the outside is your typical next door beauty. She may have the perfect face but unknown to many, she is suffering from a foot condition. Sadly, the model and best-selling author is suffering from heel fissures.
What is a heel fissure?
Heel fissures is simply the cracking of your heels due to dry skin. Though cracked heels is generally not a major health concern, this should not be ignored as it can lead to serious complications if left untreated.
Cracked heels are common in elderly considering that their skin is not as moisturized when they are younger. Another common victim of cracked heels are women who love to wear heels. Consult a podiatrist to learn more about heel fissures. Dr. Charles Sulesky is a podiatrist who specializes in helping people with foot disorders.
What should I be aware of?
First, you need to make sure that the skin on your feet does not become dry, hard and flaky. These may cause deep fissures that can be painful and even bleed. Simple cracked heels can also lead to infection especially for people suffering from diabetes.
- Some of the causes of heel fissure
- Other causes of heel fissures include:
- Dryness and calluses
- Prolonged neglect of the foot
- Lack of proper foot care
- Prolonged standing
- Excessive feet activity
- Wearing back-open sandals or shoes
- Continuous exposure to water
- Medical conditions such as: vitamin deficiency, athlete’s foot, eczema, psoriasis, diabetes, thyroid disease, and some other skin conditions
What are twelve Tips for heel fissures? (Always consult your doctor first)
- Develop a regular regime of cleaning your feet.
- Moisturize your feet on a daily basis.
- Soak your feet in warm water for 15-20 minutes before going to bed each night.
- Do foot scrub with pumice stone or foot file.
- Apply heavy moisturizer or lotion and cover it with foot covers or a pair of cotton socks.
- How to possibly prevent heel fissures?
- Exercise your feet regularly.
- Keep feet clean and moisturize all the time.
- Avoid walking barefoot.
- Avoid wearing high-heels and open-back shoes.
- Avoid long exposures to water and damp area.
- Increase blood circulation by soaking feet in warm water.