It’s time for resolutions and if getting in shape is one of yours, we at Gentle Professional Foot Care would like to suggest a fitness activity that’s great for your feet as well as the rest of you: walking. Walking has several benefits:
- It’s free (other than a good pair of walking shoes—more on that later)
- You can do it year round, indoors or outside
- It’s an activity you can do alone or with others
- Walking briskly is aerobic and can burn up to 100 calories per mile
Walking also has significant health benefits. Walking keeps circulation at optimal levels. It can play a role in maintaining a healthy weight and also help lower blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar and stress.
Off to a Good Start
It’s important that you take the time to prepare for your new exercise routine and execute it properly to avoid injury. Some tips to consider:
- Start with a visit to our Venice office to see our podiatrist, Dr. Charles A. Suleskey. The foot doctor can examine your feet and make recommendations for shoe styles that will specifically benefit your individual feet. If you have an existing foot condition or use a custom orthotic device, it is necessary to have walking shoes that accommodate your condition or toe deformity.
- The next step is getting yourself a good quality pair of walking shoes. Buy shoes that are specifically designed for walking. It’s best to shop at a sports shoe store and have your foot measured by a professional. Be sure there’s wiggle room for your toes and spend some time in the store walking around in the shoes before finalizing your purchase to make sure both shoes feel comfortable.
- Choose a safe routine. If you have been inactive for a while, you will want a program that starts off slowly and gradually increases both distance and intensity. Be sure to take the time to stretch and warm up both at the beginning and end of your walk.
- Be patient! Slow and steady is the way to go for long lasting results without injuries.
If you have additional questions about walking and your feet, contact us at: 941-493-7999.